Tuesday, April 17, 2018

Serious Eats: Ramp Gravy


Do you know what time it is??  It's RAMP TIME!  And as I do every year, I pretty much wiped out the supply at my local market.  I swear, they should just save the box for me each spring.  I have some great recipes planned to make the most of my treasure, and this is the first on the list.  Because what could possibly be better than cream gravy?  Cream gravy with ramps, of course!  Smother this gravy on mashed potatoes, fried chicken, or even your breakfast biscuits.

Ramp Gravy
From Serious Eats

2 tablespoons unsalted butter
6 ramps, finely chopped
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
2 cups light cream (heavy cream, half and half, or milk can be used in its place)
1½ teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt

Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add ramps and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, about 3 minutes. Add flour and cook, stirring constantly with a whisk until golden blond, about 4 minutes.

Increase heat to medium-high. Whisking constantly, slowly pour in cream. Add black pepper. Whisking frequently, bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, whisking frequently, until thickened, about 1 minute after it reaches a boil. Remove from heat and season with salt and pepper.

Makes 2 cups

No comments: