Friday, December 16, 2016

El Frijol Feliz: Arroz Guatemalteco (Guatemalan Rice)


I was guilty.  Guilty of thinking that rice was the same no matter what Central or South American country you visited.  I figured it would be that same tomato-ey red rice you get at Tex-Mex restaurants.  I should have known better.  Luckily I have a very sweet friend from Guatemala who has shown me the error of my ways.  Guatemalan rice is tender, savory, and full of lovely flecks of color.  And it works perfectly alongside all sorts of lovely Guatemalan entrees.  I certainly stand corrected.

Note: After sautéing the vegetables, I dumped all of this in my rice cooker.  Feel free to take the easy way out just like I did.

Arroz Guatemalteco (Guatemalan Rice)
Adapted from El Frijol Feliz cooking class, Antigua, Guatemala

1½ tablespoons vegetable oil
6 tablespoons finely chopped onion
3 tablespoons finely chopped red bell pepper
3 tablespoons finely chopped carrot
¼ cup frozen petite peas
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups long-grain white rice
4 cups chicken stock

Add the vegetables to a saucepan with the vegetable oil and sauté for about a minute or two until the onion is clear. Add the salt. Once the vegetables are sautéed, add the uncooked rice. Stir until any liquid is absorbed, about one minute. Then add the chicken stock. Cook the rice for about 20 minutes or for the time listed on your bag of rice. Serve.

Makes 4 to 6 servings

No comments: