Sunday, August 28, 2016

Fresh New England: Concord Grape Muffins with Dark Chocolate Crumble


Well, I managed to get a hold of the last of the Concord grapes.  But I had already done the jam/jelly thing, so I wasn't sure what else I wanted to add to my repertoire.  Internet it was.  And the internet gods gave me a fabulous gift of this delicious muffins.  Having learned my lesson with my previous cache of supposedly seedless Concord grapes, I proceeded to halve and deseed all of them.  I wasn't sure how these grapes would turn out once cooked, but the muffins really reminded me of blueberry muffins.  Tender, sweet muffins with bits of tart grapes.  Good work everyone.

Concord Grape Muffins with Dark Chocolate Crumble

½ cup unsalted butter, softened
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 cups plus 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour, divided
2 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup plain yogurt
¼ cup whole milk
2 cups Concord grapes, halved and seeds removed
Dark Chocolate Crumble

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

Line muffin tin with paper liner and grease rims with butter.  Cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.  Add eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.  Stir in vanilla.  Sift dry ingredients and add alternately with yogurt and milk.  Toss the Concord grape halves with 1 tablespoon flour.  Fold in by hand.  Fill muffin cups ¾ full.  Sprinkle crumble over muffin tops.  Bake 20 to 25 minutes, or until a tooth pick inserted in center comes out clean.  Cool for 30 minutes.

Dark Chocolate Crumble
⅔ cup sliced almonds
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
⅔ cup packed light brown sugar
⅔ cup old-fashioned oatmeal
½ cup good quality dark chocolate, chopped
4 tablespoons unsalted butter

Process ingredients in food processor until a crumble forms.

No comments: