Saturday, May 21, 2016

Serious Eats: Pickled Ramps


Oh my gosh.  Score of scores!  I found ramps at my local grocery store!  So you know what I did?  In case you're wondering, no, I did not share the beauty of ramps with my fellow shoppers.  No, sir.  I bought every last one of those babies and left an empty bin to disappoint everyone who came after me.  Too bad, suckers!  Well, then I got home and realized that I probably couldn't eat all of my lovely ramps fast enough, so pickling to the rescue.  Look at those lovely pinkish stems!  And the bright white bulbs!  I seriously cannot wait until I can plop some of these of some tender roasted pork.

Pickled Ramps
From seriouseats.com

1 pound ramps, carefully washed, ends trimmed
1½ cups white wine vinegar or rice vinegar
1½ cups water
1½ cups granulated sugar
¼ cup kosher salt
3 bay leaves
1 tablespoon yellow or black mustard seed
6 allspice berries
1 pinch red pepper flakes

Carefully pack ramps into a sterilized quart-sized jar with a screw-top lid.

Combine remaining ingredients in a medium saucepan over medium high heat and bring to a boil, whisking until sugar and salt are dissolved. Pour hot brine over ramps (it should fill the jar completely, if you have excess, discard). Screw on lid and allow to cool at room temperature.

Transfer to refrigerator and allow to rest for at least 3 weeks and up to a year before consuming.

No comments: