Tuesday, January 19, 2016

Saveur: Major Grey's Mango Chutney


Up to this point, I've never had chutney.  Somehow I have made it this far in my life without having that experience.  So of course I decide it's time to remedy that.  And this idea of chutney kind-of takes over.  Now I really have to have it.  So I get home after work and chop everything up and finally throw it all in a pot.  I turn on the burner and look to the recipe to see how long it needs to cook.  Full halt.  TWO HOURS.  I realize this at 8:15pm.  So much for whipping up a batch of chicken salad with my new chutney for lunch tomorrow.  I'm going to be lucky to get this bad boy finished before I'm falling asleep in my chair.  Well, I managed to make it through the extended cooking time, and even though it was too hot to throw into some salad, I had to try a bite.  It doesn't look like much, but this is one of the most flavor-packed dishes I've had the pleasure of eating in a long time.  It's sweet and sour and spicy (full of spices) and hot (burns your tongue just right).  I kinda want to put it on everything now.

Note: I used golden raisins because that's what I had in my pantry, and it worked just fine.

Major Grey's Mango Chutney
From Saveur magazine, September 2012

2¼ pounds mangoes, peeled and finely chopped
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup packed light brown sugar
1 cup apple cider vinegar
1 cup raisins
½ cup finely chopped ginger
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons chile powder
1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1 teaspoon kosher salt
½ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1 stick cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in a 4-quart saucepan; boil. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring, until reduced and thick, about 2 hours. Transfer to glass jars and seal; store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.

Makes 5 cups

No comments: