Friday, December 11, 2015

Billy Parisi: Slow Cooker Asian BBQ Country-Style Ribs


For years I've been eating country-style ribs smothered in barbecue sauce.  I mean ribs = BBQ, right?  But this week when I was looking at my package of pork, I just wasn't feeling the traditional preparation.  I wanted something interesting and different.  And something that did not involve the grocery store.  Okay, so most people don't have oyster sauce just hanging out in their pantry, but I did.  And I was sick of looking at that can of mandarin oranges, so in that went, too.  The ribs turned out tender, juicy, sweet, and tangy.  Just what I was looking for, with minimal effort.

Slow Cooker Asian BBQ Country-Style Ribs
Adapted from Billy Parisi

1 (1-inch) knob ginger, peeled and grated
1 large clove garlic, minced
¾ cup ketchup
½ cup hoisin sauce
¼ cup oyster sauce
¼ cup honey
¼ cup mirin
¼ cup soy sauce
2 tablespoons unseasoned rice vinegar
½ teaspoon Chinese five spice powder
½ teaspoon sesame oil
1 (11-ounce) can mandarin orange segments, fruit and juice
2 pounds country-style pork ribs, excess fat removed, cut into 2-inch long pieces
Sesame seeds and sliced green onions, for serving

Combine all ingredients except sesame seeds and green onions in the crock of the slow cooker.  Cover and cook on HIGH for 6 hours, or until pork is tender.  If a thicker sauce is desired, strain meat and orange sections from the sauce, and pour the sauce into a saucepan.  Cook over medium to medium-high heat until sauce is reduced and syrupy.  Serve with rice and topped with sesame seeds and green onions.

Makes 4 servings

No comments: