Sunday, August 09, 2015

Xihongshi Chao Jidan (Stir-Fried Tomato and Eggs)


A friend I had back in college first made a version of these eggs for me.  I've got to admit, I was a little surprised.  They just seemed so...easy.  Up to that point, I had always thought of Chinese food as some sort of unapproachable set of dishes only to be found in restaurants.  And she served it for dinner.  Now, I'm not going to say this isn't a dinner dish, but I certainly like that I have something different in my breakfast file.

Xihongshi Chao Jidan (Stir-Fried Tomato and Eggs)

2 tablespoons peanut oil
1 large clove garlic, minced
2 ripe red tomatoes (about ½ pound total weight), cut into wedges
Pinch granulated sugar
1 teaspoon soy sauce
⅛ teaspoon ground white pepper
3 large eggs, beaten
3 or 4 green onions, white and green parts, chopped
1 teaspoon sesame oil
Salt, to taste

Add peanut oil to a wok or frying pan and heat over medium-high heat until shimmering.  Add the garlic and cook for about 30 seconds, just until fragrant.  Add the tomatoes and sugar and cook until some of the juice evaporates.  Add the soy sauce and white pepper.  Push the tomatoes to the edges of the wok and pour the eggs into the center.  Slowly begin to scramble them.  When they are almost cooked through, start to toss them with the tomatoes.  Add the green onions, sesame oil, and salt and serve over hot rice.

Makes 2 servings

No comments: