Friday, August 08, 2014

Saveur: Cherry Almond Clafoutis


I'm really trying to cut back on my flour and sugar intake.  I swear.  I may not be wholly succeeding, but I'm trying.  And that's what matters.  And one of my successes is this beautiful French pudding.  This pudding that made my entire apartment smell like a Black Forest cake.  I could barely wait long enough to not burn my tongue before seeing if it tasted as good as it smelled.  The answer is OMG.

Cherry Almond Clafoutis
Adapted from Saveur magazine

Butter, for greasing the baking dish
¾ cup whole milk
½ cup heavy cream
½ cup plus 1 tablespoon granulated sugar, divided use
2 tablespoons kirsch
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
6 large eggs
Kosher salt, to taste
¾ cup all-purpose flour
¼ cup almond meal
3 cups black cherries, pitted

Heat oven to 425°F. Grease a 9-inch cast-iron skillet or baking dish with butter; set aside.

Combine milk, cream, ½ cup sugar, kirsch, vanilla extract, almond extract, eggs, and salt in a blender. Blend for a few seconds to mix ingredients, then add flour and almond meal and blend until smooth, about 1 minute.

Pour batter into buttered skillet or baking dish, then distribute cherries evenly over top. Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon granulated sugar.  Bake until a skewer inserted into batter comes out clean and a golden brown crust has formed on top and bottom of clafoutis and center barely jiggles, about 30 minutes.

Makes 8 servings

No comments: