Monday, August 25, 2014

Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook: Sunshine Carrots


This may be one of the first recipes I made on my own.  I'm sure my mother was hovering in the background to make sure: 1) I didn't accidentally do something like substitute salt for sugar and 2) I didn't burn down the house.  To this day I have a kind of fondness for these carrots.  Plus it's always fun to get your vitamins when they're smothered in a yummy sauce.  Wait, does sugar undo the vitamins?

Sunshine Carrots
From the 1974 edition of the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook

5 medium carrots
1 tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon cornstarch
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
Dash salt
¼ cup orange juice
2 tablespoons unsalted butter

Cut carrots into chunks.  Cook, covered, until just tender, about 20 minutes.

In a saucepan, mix sugar, cornstarch, ginger, and salt.  Add juice; cook and stir until thick and bubbly.  Boil one minute, stirring constantly.  Stir in butter.  Toss with carrots and serve.

Makes 4 servings

No comments: