Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Pillsbury Bake-Off: Savory Crescent Chicken Squares


My sister wasn't as enamored of cooking as I was at a young age.  She got the rudiments from my mother, as we all did, but it just didn't interest her.  However, at some point she decided that cooking was mildly interesting, and she started looking at recipes and playing around with some basic ideas.  And one of the first things I remember her picking out and making on her own were chicken packets.

Her recipe was pretty simple: chicken with some cream cheese and butter in a crescent roll.  I'm not sure where she originally found it, but it was pretty decent.  I always thought it was missing something though.  It was kind of one note.  Then I started crawling around the internet looking for the original source, and I found a much more interesting recipe with everything I was missing.  This one had flavor and color and interest.  I'm not sure if my sister left out the pimentos and chives and things because as children that was too foreign, but this "adult" version is delicious and easy for a weeknight dinner.  I added Creole seasoning because...well, I don't like boring.

Savory Crescent Chicken Squares
Adapted from the Pillsbury Bake-Off

1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
1 tablespoon fresh chives, chopped
¼ teaspoon salt
⅛ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons milk or cream
1 tablespoon chopped pimentos
¼ teaspoon Creole seasoning
1 (8-ounce) can Pillsbury crescent rolls
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
¼ cup Progresso Italian style breadcrumbs

Preheat oven to 350°F.

In a medium bowl, mix cream cheese and softened butter; beat until smooth.  Add chicken, chives, salt, pepper, milk, pimentos, and Creole seasoning; mix well.

Separate dough into 4 rectangles.  Firmly press the perforations to seal.  Spoon ¼ of the chicken mixture onto the center of each rectangle.  Pull the 4 corners of the dough to the center of the chicken mixture, seal firmly.  Place on an ungreased cookie sheet.  Brush the tops of the squares with the melted butter and sprinkle with breadcrumbs.

Bake 16 to 20 minutes, or until golden brown.

Makes 4 servings

No comments: