Sunday, March 04, 2012

Home Cooking with Jean-Georges: Fettuccine with Meyer Lemon Cream



I got a ton of Meyer lemons on sale at the store, and I've been desperately trying to figure out something to do with them. Everyone goes on and on about how fabulous they are, but when I went to find a recipe, I felt like I was looking for a needle in a haystack. After flipping through a couple of different cookbooks, I finally came across this recipe for fettuccine in a creamy lemon sauce. Since I'm always a fan of creamy pasta, I gave it a try.  I got fresh fettuccine from Central Market, since it always seems to turn out nicer than dried pasta. The lemons came in a bag at...Walmart. Yes, I said it. I was only there to get cat food, I promise.

The pasta was really simple to pull together, and it would definitely be something to make on a night after work. The lemon flavor wasn't too overpowering, despite the fact that both zest and juice made their way into the sauce. It was pretty light and refreshing considering the heavy cream that went into it. I would definitely make it again.

Fettuccine with Meyer Lemon Cream
From Home Cooking with Jean-Georges by Jean-Georges Vongerichten

8 ounces store-bought fresh fettuccine
Kosher salt
1½ cups heavy cream
Grated zest of 2 Meyer lemons
2 tablespoons fresh Meyer lemon juice
2-ounce block Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Coarsely ground black pepper

Bring a large pot of water to a boil and salt it generously.

Meanwhile, whisk together the cream, lemon zest, and a pinch of salt.  Pour 1 cup of the mixture into a large, deep skillet.  Boil it rapidly, stirring frequently, until reduced by about half, about 8 minutes.

After the sauce has reduced for 5 minutes, cook the fettuccine in the water until al dente, about 3 minutes.

Drain the pasta well and add to the lemon cream.  Reduce the heat to low and toss until well coated.  Add the remaining cream mixture and the lemon juice and continue tossing until well coated.

Divide among 4 shallow bowls.  Grate the cheese directly over the pasta, forming a little mound.  Grind a generous dose of pepper over the pasta.  Serve immediately.

Makes 4 servings

No comments: