Saturday, May 23, 2009

Cathal Armstrong: Ravioli with Ramps, Mushrooms, and Shaved Parmesan


I'm trying to find as many things to do with ramps as possible before the season ends.  I love the darn things.  I've seriously considered going out into the woods and looking for my own little patch.  Knowing my luck though, I'd probably only find my own little patch of poison ivy.  Guess I'll stick to the store.

Ravioli with Ramps, Mushrooms, and Shaved Parmesan
Adapted from Cathal Armstrong, Restaurant Eve in Alexandria, VA

1 (1-pound) package cheese or mushroom ravioli
1 teaspoon chopped garlic
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
4 thinly sliced ramp stalks
8 ounces crimini mushrooms, washed
1 (14½-ounce) can diced tomatoes, drained
Pinch red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons chicken broth
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
½ teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
Sea salt, to taste
3 tablespoons shaved Parmesan cheese

Bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Cook the ravioli according to package directions. Drain well and set aside.

Meanwhile, in a medium saucepan over medium, sauté the garlic in the olive oil for about 2 minutes. Add the ramps, mushrooms, tomatoes, and red pepper flakes, then sauté for another 5 minutes, or until the mushrooms are tender.

Add the chicken broth. As soon as it bubbles, stir in the butter. Add the ravioli and toss to heat through. Add the thyme and salt, then divide between 4 serving bowls. Garnish with shaved Parmesan.

Makes 4 servings

No comments: