Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Ghirardelli Chocolate Cookbook: Chocolate Shortbread Cookies


I really enjoy those Walkers shortbread cookies.  Maybe it's my heritage speaking, or maybe it's just the buttery goodness and soft crumb of the cookie that calls my name.  I never thought I would love a plain cookie so much ('Nilla Wafers? blech, animal crackers? blech).  So as part of my current chocolate kick, I figured I would mix up a batch of chocolate shortbread.  Big happy smile, itty bitty ingredient list.

Chocolate Shortbread Cookies
From The Ghirardelli Chocolate Cookbook

1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
⅔ cup granulated sugar
⅓ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ teaspoon sea salt

In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.  Add the cocoa, flour, and salt.  Mix on medium-low speed just until the dough comes together, about 1 minute.  Refrigerate the dough for 30 minutes.

Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper.

On a lightly floured board, roll out the dough to a thickness of ¼-inch.  Cut into 2-inch rounds (scraps can be rerolled).  Place the cookies on the prepared cookie sheets at least ½-inch apart.  If the dough is very soft, refrigerate again for at least 30 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 325°F.  Bake for 15 minutes.  Let cool on the cookie sheets, then remove with a metal spatula.

Store in an airtight container for up to 5 days.

Makes 36 to 44 cookies

No comments: