Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Noobie Blogger Takes on Gastronomy

Like most good white Anglo-Saxon children, I was raised on traditional American dinners. My mother is a wonderful cook, and I remember fondly her meatloaf, scalloped potatoes, and pumpkin pie. The food wasn't terribly adventurous, but it was warm and comforting. Since my mother was a homemaker for most of my early childhood, I could always look forward to one of her dinners each night, and we always sat together around the table.

Unlike most WASP daughters in today's America, however, my mother actually taught me to cook. She believed that even if you didn't end up as a homemaker, you would also need to be able to feed yourself. Most of my friends growing up didn't get the same education, so I'm grateful for the lessons. I remember making cookies at Christmas, with my mom doing the stirring at the end when the dough was too sticky for my little hands. I also remember going through my mother's cookbooks, in awe of the crystal clear gelatin molds and ornate crown roasts that filled the 1950's-era books, wishing I could make something that stunning.

Now that I'm older, and the US has undergone a kind of cooking revolution, I have many more options when it comes to dinner each night. As each new immigrant group has entered the US, they have brought their amazing food with them, and I am more than happy to try it all. This means plenty of new cookbooks, ingredients, and sometimes even cooking classes. And I'm loving it all. This blog is my attempt to capture my growth as a cook, as well as the growing repertoire of foods and dishes that are available to the everyday American. I hope you enjoy it!

No comments: